Seeking Parish Administrative Assistant
Hours: 10-15 Hours per week
Supervised by: The Pastor, The Rev. Alex Dyer
Compensation: $15-$17 per hour
The Parish Secretary is a key support person in the organizational functions of the Episcopal Church of St. Paul & St. James. This person assists in the physical operations of the church office and maintains it in an efficient and pleasant manner. Areas of primary responsibilities include printing, mailings, calendar, and managing users of the building.
- Have at least two years secretarial experience, preferably as a church secretary
- Minimum of a high school diploma
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently, self-motivated
- Strong editing skills and attention to detail
- Able to communicate effectively with courtesy and tact with other staff, church members, and guests.
- Able to handle confidential information with discretion
- Working knowledge of church systems & liturgical language
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher
- Candidates who also speak Spanish are preferred
- Physically able to climb stairs, lift 30 pounds, move about building easily.
- Sits, stands, bends, reaches and moves intermittently during work.
- Is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Works beyond normal hours for planned functions of the church and emergencies.
- Communicates with supervisor and other church staff, volunteers, members and guests.
Essential Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Answer all incoming calls
- In consultation with supervisor and others, generate, print, stuff, and assemble weekly bulletins, annual report and other miscellaneous publications.
- Clean printing machines and equipment as required ensuring proper maintenance between service calls.
- Update Parish Directory using Church Windows Software.
- Manage and collect building use fees from outside rental groups
- Maintain online and print calendar of church events and outside events.
- Edit and send weekly E-newsletter, and maintain website and social media presence.
- Open, sort and distribute incoming mail.
- Maintain all files and records for the parish and its employees.
- Prepare announcements for services
- Prepare bulletins for special services such as funerals and weddings.
- Record and update all sacramental records including funerals, weddings & baptisms.
- Assist in the maintenance of parishioner information
- Keep registration forms updated and send out registration forms for new parishioners.
- Building use: In addition to sending and receiving applications, show facilities to potential renters as needed; confer with the pastor about requests, costs, possible conflicts as necessary; inform sexton about rentals and when heat will be needed and notify about any schedule changes.
- Order office supplies as needed; monitor office supplies & budget.
- Receive vestry minutes monthly from clerk; save in computer file.
- Assist with annual budget process, providing input about administrative expenses.
- Show service/repair/delivery people to appropriate locations in building, explain concerns, answer questions, etc.
- Monday thru Thursday, exact hours to be determined.
The Parish Secretary reports directly to the